May 2020

stephen
Site Admin

May 2020

Post by stephen »

Mother's Day
by Louann R
and Jo R

Mother's day is complicated and for many people, not all-together happy for a variety of reasons. Mother's day this year (Sunday, May 10) is complicated further by the Shelter-in-place situation due to the global pandemic. Yet, what was true for moms and grandmothers before this virus crisis, is still true - being a mom/grandmother is their most valued identity.

How can you show your mother/ grandmother how important and valued they are?
Mothers love being with their families so use the tools available to connect with her. Use Zoom (there's free version), facetime, texting words of love, text about your everyday activities, send photos, and videos randomly. If online is not an option - call her on the phone, mail cards and photos.
What to talk about?
Ask about her interests presently and past interests, ask for advice and what she finds important in life, ask about family history - then let her tell you. Record it so you'll have it to pass onto the grand and great grand kids. All of these tell her that she's on your mind and heart. These ideas are not a good substitute for inter-personal connection. We're all missing (HUGS and face to face talks!!) but it helps.

Both little kids and adult kids miss being together with their parents and grandparents. With no end in sight to this pandemic, there's a fear in us that we won't get to be with our mothers for a long time, or perhaps never. Let's reach out to Moms and Grandmothers. Let's love them as much and as long as we are able.. everyday.

Happy Mother's Day.

stephen
Site Admin

Pastors Corner

Post by stephen »

Rev. David Robinson
Interim Pastor

Happy May Day Grace! I hope and pray you are well. We really do wish to know if you or any of your loved ones get sick or are in need of prayer, please let us know. We are available to help in any ways we can.

I think everyone has heard we are on lockdown through the month of May. We have been evaluating an opening process but really have to wait until the county health department gives us specific requirements and details. We will keep you informed. Meanwhile, the church is open for the business of the Mission- sheltering, providing food, showers, and hygiene kits. We are most grateful to Phil and the essential workers of Grace Solutions for serving some of the most vulnerable members of our community. We are also doing our best to stay connected to our fellowship and be aware of the needs, spiritual, emotional, relational or physical.

In these challenging times, we look for guideposts from the past to see how our ancestors lived through and spiritually grew their difficulties. During the Black Plague of the 12th-14th centuries, some amazing meditative writers created magnificent prayers and devotions for the people to contemplate. One of those writers was Thomas a Kempis, his magnificent devotional, "The Imitation of Christ", has continued to encourage people to this day.

"Ah Lord God, Thou holy Lover of my soul, when Thou comest into my soul, all that is within me shall rejoice. Thou art my Glory and the exaltation of my heart: Thou art my Hope and Refuge in the day of my trouble. Set me free from all evil passions, and heal my heart of all inordinate affections; that, being inwardly cured and thoroughly cleansed, I may be made fit to love, courageous to suffer, steady to persevere. Nothing is sweeter than Love, nothing more courageous, nothing fuller nor better in heaven and earth; because Love is born of God and cannot rest but in God, above all create things. Let me love Thee more than myself, nor myself but for Thee. Amen"

May we open our spiritual eyes to see beyond these troubles to perceive the presence of our Lord. May we see Jesus' love for us and recognize his compassion as a gift for us to share with those that are so overwhelmed their eyes can only be downcast. May we see clearly the priorities our Lord has called us to fulfill; the blessings of life and love must always chosen for the benefit of all.

May the love of our Lord fulfill us, our community, and all our brothers and sisters in all our days and ways.

Peace
Dave